Recap of what to expect this week:
This week is the start of the 2018 CrossFit Games Open. More importantly, it kicks off the most fun-filled span of 5 weeks you’ll ever have while you take part in the Intramural Open. This one is special in that we are pitting the guys against the girls. Throughout this week, I’ll be breaking things down so that you know exactly what to expect…well, everything except what the actual workout will be. If you missed Monday’s tips, click here to read that blog.
Tonight, I’d like to call to your attention the 5 best ways to maximize your experience and workout performance for each workout:
- Sleep: this is a non-negotiable, and the greatest performance enhancer out there. You should be striving for at least 8 hours of sleep. Go to bed earlier. Don’t go out. Turn down the invites. It’s only 5 weeks. Make a commitment to setting yourself up for success. For what its worth, Jay gets about 10-12 hours of sleep on the Friday nights before each Open workout.
- Preparation: newsflash -> you won’t be getting any fitter during the week, but what you can do is prepare to embrace whatever workout Dave Castro throws upon us. Notice I didn’t say “deal with” – thats a fixed mindset approach that breeds negativity. Preparing your mind to accept whatever comes at us is an easy layup here.
- Nutrition: come on, you knew this one was coming at some point. Look, if your nutrition sucks, your performance will too. Eat real, whole foods. Like I said in #1 above: “It’s only 5 weeks. Make a commitment to setting yourself up for success.” But more than that, I recommend not to make any big sweeping changes to your current nutrition routine. Adding more stress to your body by shocking it with new foods isn’t wise.
- Hydration: drink half your bodyweight in ounces. Pretty cut and dry. No…booze doesn’t count. Its a poison. Again: “It’s only 5 weeks. Make a commitment to setting yourself up for success.”
- Routine: same bar, same spot, same rope, same setup to lift heavy, same place you stare at on the wall – these are all parts of an effective routine. Come “game day” its best to rely on what you already know.
Stay tuned for more details as the week rolls on!
“There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.”
Dandy blend is a great coffee alternative for those trying to break the habit and it’s a great detoxer for the liver.
T-Spine + LAX
Split Jerk (15min to Heavy Triple from the ground)
7 RFT –
9 Thrusters (95/65)
1) 15min time cap
2) RX+ will do 5 MU (can be bar)